* constipation is a symptom, not a disease
* Inability to completely evacuate the bowel or passing very hard stool is known as constipation.
* constipation is one of the most common gastrointestinal disorders encountered in clinical practice.
Prevalence in children
Normal Bowel Habits.
The first week of life - 4-5 soft/ liquid stools/ day
First 3 month- 3 -4 soft stool/ day.
3 month-2 year - 2-3 soft stools.
>2 year -1-2 formed stools.
Normal physiology of defecation
* Increased abdominal pressure or propulsive colorectal contractions.
* Relaxation of the internal anal sphincter ( automatic)
* Relaxation of the external anal sphincter ( voluntary)
* Straightening of pelvic musculature ( levator ani puborectalis)
Cause of constipation
1. Basic 2. Psychological 3. Neurologic 4. Ci disorder 5 . Pregnancy 6. Some medicine. 7. Organic cause.
Gastro-Intestinal Disorder -
iron supplies (iron slow down the digestive system & slows of normal bowel movement), analgesic, antihistamine, antispasmodic antidepressants anti psychology.
Antacids, sucralfate opiates, antihypertensive, ganglionic blockers vinca Alkawids Calcium Chanel blockers 5ht3 antagonists
Organic cause -
Symptoms-- headache, pain stomach, sense of rectal fullness, flatulence, pain at the anus while defecating heaviness of the body, lack of appetite, Indigestion, Nausea, Belching.
Chronic constipation may lead to chronic Fissure in Ano, Hemorrhoid, rectal prolapse, fissure in Ano-like big disease.
Management-- Diet change in lifestyle, Laxatives, Stimulants, Stool softener. Lubricant Saline Laxatives.
According to Ayurveda Peoples has 4 types of Kostha (Constipation)
Krura (Hard) Kostha
Mrudu (Soft) Kostha
Madhya (Moderate) Kostha
Yoga Posture for Constipation
1. Kurmasana, Vakrasana, Katichakrasana, Sarvangasana, shavasana, Pavanamuktasana,Mandukasana, Vajrasana, Merudandasan etc.
2. Yogamudra, Shankha prakshlana, Nadishodhana
3. Surya anuloma viloma, deep relaxation technique, etc.